What are the differences between EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and U.S-EU Safe Harbor?
Privacy Shield was designed to replace the old Safe Harbor program, and allow the transfer of data from the European Union to the US.
There are a number of key diferences between the two certifications:
- New declarataions regarding participating in the program.
- New access rights
- Free dispute resoution
- Respond within 45 days
- New closer relationship between the Dept of Commerce and the local DPAs
- Ability to invoke Binding Arbitration
- New rules relating to data integrity and use limitation
- New liabilities related to onward transfer of data
- Data is subject to the principles for its lifetime
- Increased transparency